The George and Dragon, Headcorn - pub details

George and Dragon

Address: High Street, Headcorn, Ashford, Kent, TN27 9NL [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 14489) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Headcorn (0.2 miles), Staplehurst (3.4 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.1/10 (rated by 12 users)
> Local guide: Kent pub guide

Kings Arms, Headcorn (0.1 miles), White Horse, Headcorn (0.1 miles), Hawkenbury, Staplehurst (1.9 miles)

user reviews of the George and Dragon, Headcorn

My partner and I went to this pub after being kicked out of the nearby White Horse as we had insisted on going topless in this heat, so we headed over to the George as we'd heard good things about it on the scene. Considered a few others but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say (oo-err).

In short this pub IS worth a visit. Interesting point to note: the garden. Bleached and painted white with no view at all owing to the large erect fences a la Treblinka; a rather masculine and slightly over the top choice quite honestly. Very homely cushion selection in one of my favourite colours - eggshell blue - and yes the hanging baskets were divine with a wonderful selection of vivid petunias and pansies. A terrific flourish of dashing hues and bold, confident, overt tones!

Unfortunately that is where the praise ends. I must state that my partner and I do NOT ask for any special treatment in public and prefer to act like every other couple, straight or gay, so it was a shock when we politely asked Marton if it would be okay to breastfeed however Matron said NO, as we had no children with us. Obviously disciminatory and they will be hearing from us again.

Beer? Didn't try it as we don't drink. 0/10 AVOID.

benton - 14 Aug 2013 15:04
GREAT pub, had a meal last night with my family. Look after so well and the food was of a very high standard, will tell all my friends. Noticed they are doing a sample saturday event where you can try the food, local beers and ciders if we get time later we are going to try and call in. Lovely atmosphere, very friendly, very busy mixed ages and local real ales, worth a visit, we shall be back soon
Maddy56 - 12 Nov 2011 13:10
Nice pub, very friendly, a rare well looked after FREE HOUSE, well kept local real ales.I will be back
Maddy56 - 10 Nov 2011 08:14
My partner and I tried the mid week carvery last night which proved to be one of the best roasts in the area. We walked in on the off chance they were full up but still found us a table and the lady that looked after us was smashing. Good to find a decent free house, at only 6.50 a head the carvery was great value.
Maddy56 - 10 Nov 2011 08:03
My sister, my husband and I enjoyed a delicious lunch today, we were totally bowled over by the lovely food, I had a large fresh plaice, my husband had the local boar sausages with mashed potaoes and roasted root vegetables and my sister enjoyed roasted tomato and cheshire cheese tart. We shared scrummpy pears with caramelised walnut ice cream for our pud. The service was friendy and we were given free samples of three local real ales so we could try before purchasing. Very nice decor and very helpful staff. They have a take home deli counter just off the bar, and again samples of local ciders were offered. We shall make this one of our regular visits we eat out a lot and this was a great lunch, well worth a visit.
Maddy56 - 9 Nov 2011 21:58