The Prince Of Wales, Iffley - pub details

Prince Of Wales

Address: 73 Church Way, Iffley, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4 4EF [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 14481) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Oxford (2.3 miles), Radley (3.3 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 8.0/10 (rated by 24 users)

Isis Tavern, Iffley Lock (0.2 miles), Jolly Postboys, Oxford (0.6 miles), Magdalen Arms, Oxford (0.7 miles), Shelley Arms, Oxford (0.8 miles), Duke Of Monmouth, Oxford (0.8 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Prince Of Wales, Iffley

Had a very pleasant lunch on Wednesday.They have recently added a very nice dining well kept and a good variety..will certainly visit again
itchytony - 18 Jul 2015 18:59
My boyfriend and I went out for a lovely walk in the sunshine and on the spot, decided to have a drink in the garden of this pub. I went to order one glass of wine and one orange and lemonade. Before ordering, I thought I better just check that I could pay by card and asked politely. The bar tender said yes if its over £10 and he said if I bought two drinks, that would take it to £10. I wasn’t sure if he was joking because that sounded a little steep for a village pub which, being completely honest, did not appear to be anything special. He then started saying strange things like ‘What do you expect, this is The Prince of Wales Ma’ Darlin. Two drinks here will cost you £10. I swear, I thought he was pulling my leg. So I asked him how much a glass of wine would cost and he told me £6.70. Again, I thought he was joking. £6.70 in a run of the mill village pub in the outskirts of Oxford – I just couldn’t see the justification for this price. I would at least expect the service to live up to the price tag anyway! When he saw I was taken a-back, he suggested I go to Wetherspoons and that it was people like me who were responsible for 26 pubs a week closing. I truly do not know what I did to deserve this. The issue of local pubs closing is something close to my heart so I took offence to this and do not agree with his conclusion. Again he reminded me that ‘This was the Prince of Wales’ and that it was a ‘Five star pub’. Bravely, I said that I didn’t care what type of pub it was and said I would rather leave. To that he told me to ‘go to wetherspoons’.

I don’t know if he was just having a very bad day but I feel strongly that it is totally unacceptable for anyone to speak so badly to a customer, particularly where it’s uncalled for. I will never return to this pub and I would be worried about anyone I know or anyone on here going which is the sole reason for taking the effort to register and post this comment.

Clarey84 - 29 Mar 2014 22:20
Another winner in Iffley after the Isis Farm House and the range of Wadworth's beers was exemplary. The atmosphere was local and friendly and the pub quiz is apparently a good 'un. It's within suburban Oxford but retains the feel of the village pub it once was.
BoehmBawerk - 7 Sep 2013 18:59
Busy with diners when I visited this Friday lunchtime, but struck me as a pub that serves food rather than a 'food pub'. Nice pint of Elgood's Golden Newt and good selection of bar snacks. Friendly barman and nice ambience all round. Would definitely make an effort to visit one summer weekend.
Komakino - 1 Mar 2013 14:36
Particularly friendly suburban local, with notably engaging 3 and 5 year-olds for company ! (Children often make better company than adults). Wadworths 6X was OK; never good in halves.
mtaylor40 - 2 Apr 2012 11:32