The Earl Haig, Bexleyheath - pub details

Address: The Pantiles, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA7 5HJ [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 14145) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Bexleyheath (0.8 miles), Barnehurst (1.1 miles), Belvedere (1.5 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 5.3/10 (rated by 23 users)
> Local guide: Kent pub guide

Great Harry, Belvedere (0.4 miles), Village Inn, Belvedere (0.5 miles), Yacht, Bexleyheath (0.5 miles), Fox, Belvedere (0.5 miles), Victoria, Belvedere (0.6 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Earl Haig, Bexleyheath

Much improved over previous years and has recently been refurbished and is now a decent pub selling a very good range of real ales. The food is also very good and reasonably priced.
It does tend to get a bit crowded at weekends which is testament to how much it has improved.
Good quiz night on a Sunday around 8:30.
zapsincl - 28 Mar 2014 09:44
It's been a few months since I last ventured into the Haig, which I used to quite look forward to going to due to their decent range of real ales. But my last visit put paid to that with bloody terrible food and a really poor pint.

My wife (who was pregnant and therefore fixated only on certain food items!) ordered the fish and chips, and I ordered a burger. Pretty standard pub grub by all accounts, and not something a trained cook should have any bother with. After a short wait, our food arrived. Mine was ok in fairness, but seriously, you'd have to be a complete retard to fluff a burger up. The fish on the other hand, was dreadful. There was more batter than fish, which was barely edible in itself as it was old, tired and dry and the batter inside wasn't even cooked properly - it was like stodgy, part-baked bread. And my pint of whatever it was was clearly on the turn but by that point I couldn't be bothered to argue.

When the man came over to collect our plates we were asked if everything was ok, to which we replied it wasn't and showed him the mess left on my wife's plate where she had to wrestle with the fish and ended up not eating any of it. He looked at it blankly, muttered some form of apology and wandered off.

That was my last visit, and I won't be hurrying back for lunch anytime soon. Although, if the beer selection is interesting enough, I could think of worse places to have a drink although it is pretty soulless. Just don't bother ordering lunch and if you do, avoid the fish.
PMA - 14 Oct 2011 08:50
Awful Pub - used to be a proper pub - just another souless open space now with below avearge food ......... and worst of all seemingly untrained staff with no people skills or knowledge about serving drinks ... management arrogant and mostly invisible - when challengede about a specific point just kept saying "I don't care" which for me sums the place up very nicely ....
denizen - 7 Mar 2011 09:12
Nice pub, good quiz nights and no oiks. Food could be better but reasonable for price.
TheTrooper - 20 Feb 2011 22:28
been here a few time recently. locals seem fine. food ok but was very very slow. we waited 90 minutes on a, not busy, friday lunchtime. the drinks are cheap for the area although they seem to run out of their value range of calsberg lager often (according to the locals). bar staff all very pleasant except for one who could be the manager, she doesn't wear a uniform . she is very unfriendly and unhelpful. you will have no bother avoiding her as she seems to hide when people are at the bar and will only serve if she really has to. a reasonable pub.
JPIGPDF - 26 Jul 2010 13:09