Royal Oak, Fritham - pub details

Royal Oak
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4]

Address: New Forest National Park, Fritham, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7HJ [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 12612) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 7.5/10 (rated by 80 users)
> Local guide: Hampshire pub guide

user reviews of Royal Oak, Fritham

My wife and I deliberately went out of our way to find this little gem a couple of weeks ago. And what a find. Superb pub , friendly staff and service. Nine barrels on serving by gravity - six on and three settling. My wife asked for a half of Guinness, but I ignored that and got her the Black Forest, described as a 'Piquant Porter' and it went down a treat.

Then I came on here to see previous comments. For what it's worth, let me join in the various discussions.

I wasn't aware of the 'no cards' policy - how many people really go around these days without some cash in their pocket ? Surely this is rarely a problem.

Childrens' play area ? What ?? Let them play on the open grassy areas over the path - there is no moving traffic to worry about for heavens sake. What are you after - one of those great plastic gorilla things with swings hanging from each arm ?

A restricted food offering - why don't they offer a larger menu of hot food ? Haven't you noticed that the whole pub would probably fit inside Blumenthal's kitchen. Their menu is what they are comfortable with , and there's nothing wrong with that. If you want more then go elsewhere.

The owners / managers are obviously happy with their business model , so leave it to them - they know what they are doing. As an indicator of how they consider themselves to be a community pub , the outside toilet block ( nicely rebuilt and spick and span ) had a notice allowing any passing Duke of Edinburgh award parties to feel free to use their facilities.

So leave this pub alone - it's a cracking little find and doesn't need changing in any way. In a comment on another pub some years ago I said I never give a mark of ten out of principle , but in this case I'm going to break my own rule. Ten out of ten , and well deserved.
philanders - 6 Nov 2013 17:32
What a gem of a pub! The Royal Oak in Fritham is well worth searching for. We chose to visit in the evening, as we hoped (correctly) it would be quieter than during the day. It is quite a small pub which gives it great character, but I’m sure it can get very busy. I was drinking the Flack’s Double Drop, which was superb.
BiffoBeer - 29 May 2013 10:47
Really food pub, had 5 beers on. The ploughmans was great too.
legionuk - 23 Mar 2013 09:19
A great pub, and I am glad to see that they have maintained the standards. Superb ploughmans, not over-priced considering what we got. 5 beers from the cask today, tested two which were great, others looked very good. Lovely fire. Just wish everyone would close the door- its not difficult and it marred our lunch a little. Sign and door closure needed. All in all a superb pub not to be missed.
SPB - 30 Oct 2012 17:19
Pootling around The New Forest on our bikes, came across this pub by happy chance. 7 or 8 real ales all dispensed by gravity from the back of the bar. Had Flack Manor Double Drop and the house beer Royal Oak IPA, both in excellent, polished condition. Only 2.90 a pint! Their food menu is simple, mostly a variety of ploughman's, but local cheese and ham which we enjoyed in the sun in the huge garden with great views of the countryside. Just about as good as it gets.
henrythenavigator - 6 Sep 2012 16:47