The Nook, Holmfirth - pub details

Previously called: Rose and Crown

Address: 7 Victoria Square, Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, HD9 2DN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 12051) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Brockholes (2.2 miles), Honley (2.7 miles), Stocksmoor (3.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.5/10 (rated by 20 users)

Carniceria, Holmfirth (0.0 miles), Shoulder of Mutton, Holmfirth (0.1 miles), Elephant and Castle, Holmfirth (0.1 miles), Old Bridge Hotel, Holmfirth (0.1 miles), Hervey's Wine Bar, Holmfirth (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Nook, Holmfirth

No review for a while on here, and I am pretty new to visiting Holmirth, so cannot comment on previous posts. But the pub was pretty good, not very atmospheric except the little snug area, pretty basic but certainly not dirty. The beer is GOOD! which is the reason for the high score. brewed in the micro brewery next to the pub. They do really pleasant oat beer and (when you can get it) a brilliant orange chocolate stout! ... if you like that kind of thing .... I DO!!

They also do rooms and breakfast which is in a newly built area of the pub and VERY clean and not expensive.

A good place to stay to overnight if watching a gog at Picturedorm or just pub trip!
oddlss - 29 Sep 2015 08:55
If you are visiting the Picturedrome then check out this pub. Great range of ales all well kept. I take the point of a previous reviewers concern for dogs roaming around. It doesn't bother me personally but I can see how some people may be offended
tommo1957 - 14 Nov 2013 14:14
Tucked away - you need to ask or you will never find it! Cosy little nook, warm and friendly good range of real ales including those brewed by themselves. Friendly and helpful staff.
THATOLDMAN - 23 Apr 2012 12:08
It's many a year since I came here but drawn by Jack Bruce round the corner in the Picturedrome, I had to pay a visit. I enjoyed the Nook Beer and the sausage and mash was pretty good. I didn't like the fact that there were dogs wandering about, some up on the furniture, their untrained owners quite oblivious to other people's feelings about it.

My main gripe was the youngish chap behind the bar who felt the need to comment to the locals about the fact that I asked if they were quality sausages (as opposed to the majority of crap you get in pubs) and then had to sound off when I asked for English mustard! If he knows the difference between Tetleys and the beers they keep at the Nook, why does he have a problem with food? Perhaps this guy would be better off serving in MacDonalds. Points deducted for having such an oik on the staff!
JBGatelad - 18 Mar 2011 18:04
In theory a place to visit for folks who like beer. However, if they also like a reasonable ambience, cleanliness and other such silly things, not the best experience. My new girlfriend took me because, although she knew the place, she also knew I liked ale. We've not been back since which is a real shame. The beer was great but the place really needs a thorough makeover. Doesn't mean they have to lose the positives but does an honest real beer pub always have to equate with a dump? I don't think so.
Mirrortown - 29 Oct 2009 10:39