Mad Moose, Norwich - pub details

Address: 2 Warwick Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR2 3LB [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 10141) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Norwich (1.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.1/10 (rated by 15 users)

Garden House, Norwich (0.2 miles), Rose Valley Tavern, Norwich (0.2 miles), Eaton Cottage, Norwich (0.3 miles), Mitre, Norwich (0.4 miles), Unthank Arms, Norwich (0.4 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Mad Moose, Norwich

Popular, frenetic pub with good atmosphere where we enjoyed our food in the bare brick-walled snug bar on Friday night. Beers on sale were Adnams Lighthouse, Bullards Number 1, Belhaven St Andrews Ale, Lacons Legacy, Greene King's The Rumrunner as well as Napa Smith Pale Ale. The ones I tried were perfectly drinkable without being spectacular.
paul_d102 - 26 Jul 2015 19:33
Nice and clean modern looking interior. Rather expensive. Staff friendly and polite but young and seemed inexperienced. My friend had to ask for his pint to be topped up and the young man didn't understand his reference to a lined glass. Three beers available including JHB which I tried and was very good. A pleasant environment to be in.
WednesdayStooge - 21 Mar 2011 19:25
Extraordinary little place tucked away in the middle of a residential street. I must say my wife and I had an absolutely wonderful evening there just last week (hence the first time post of a long time reader of BITE!).

We arrived late afternoon and were greeted by a charming young man who I believe was the manager. A pleasure to talk to and extremely knowledgeable about the four ales on the bar (Pride was on superb, full form) he made us feel immediately welcome and looked after us both very well for the rest of the evening.

Music and ambience was perfect and our meals were delicious. Staff were attentive but non-intrusive and it was a nice touch to see candles going out on every table - really warmed the room up as night fell.

By the time we went to leave at around 9pm, the pub was beginning to fill up with a cheerful crowd but the manager took the time to thank us at our table and waved us off - a great pub host for a young chap!

Couldn't fault the place and suggest any previous reviewers with a less than savoury opinion try it again...and soon!

kt_1975 - 23 Nov 2009 22:43
If you're a lager-loving student with too much money, too much hair gel and like staring at a video screen instead of talking to your mates then go to the Mad Moose. If you're not, then don't.

The shame is that this could be a brilliant pub given its building, garden and position; the only remotely plus point now is that when the name was changed in 1995 it was going to be called Beastie O'Shaggs, but they opted for the Mad Moose at the last minute. Bring back the Warwick Arms!
Stare_Smokovec - 23 Jun 2009 14:07
I've been to this pub several times, and the food on most occasions has been absolutely gorgeous.

Tonight me and my other half had the moose burger (again, we've had them before). This time, unlike previous visits, the burgers were bright pink on the inside and didn't look properly cooked.

We explained this, and the burgers we taken away to be cooked for longer. They came back burnt on the outside, still bright pink inside, so we gave up and went home rather than making a fuss.

After looking on the internet and reading about the dangers of pink beef burgers and food poisoning, we decided we weren't overreacting and went back to explain our concerns. To be fair, we were offered a refund for our unedible meal, which wasn't the point, but which we did accept after being talked down to and fobbed off by the manager.

As most of the bar staff are so helpful, and its a nice place, I would write this off as a one off glitch, if it wasn't for the patronising attitude of the manager. Fair enough, the customer might not always be right, but they're still the customer, not something that's been stepped in.
Vodka_fairy - 5 Aug 2008 21:07